[TowerTalk] N6AW on 30m BIG GUN SIGNAL

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] N6AW on 30m BIG GUN SIGNAL
From: w6rw@earthlink.net (Michael S. Mitchell, W6RW)
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 12:39:03 -0700
Josh Logan wrote:

> The other night I heard Jan N6AW working
> Europeans and Russians on 30m
> Most of the DX I could barely hear !!
> He said that he was using a Rhombic  350 meters
> in over- all length  aiming Europe.
> HE was putting out an absolutely awesome signal !! with 200 watts!
> getting 599   from ZS6QU   off the side.
>
> I told a friend here in Colorado, he said he was pretty
> sure that Jan was at  QTH of silent key - W6RR.
>
> Does anyone here know what  Towers & Antennas comprise
> this station at former W6RR ??
>
> Can  Rhombics be effective with Metal supports?
> I always here about the tall telephone poles supporting Rhombics?
>
> Thanks in advance  -  I do appreciate the awesome BRAIN trust
> and experience on this reflector.
>
> Josh  N7XM    in Colorado
>
> --
Hi all...Jan was out at 29 Palms, California at W6BA's QTH. We have
been doing Multi-Multi contest operations out there since the late
60's. The rhombic in question is a bidirectional rhombic pointing
at Europe and the Pacific (there is also a bidirectional vbeam pointing
at Japan and the Carribean). Bill Adams (W6BA) retired in the early
60s when his callsign was W6ANN, bought 40 acres in the desert in 29
Palms and built the rhombic and veebeam using 60 foot WWII surplus poles
made out of compressed wood. The rhombic was originally designed to be
used on 40 meters, which we did for many, many years in contest
situations.

BTW, we use the call N6AW for SSB contests out there and W6BA for
CW contests.

After we installed the 3 element KLM 40 meter yagi at 130 feet, we
started using the rhombic/veebeam system on 80 meters. We just recently
raised the system to 100 feet using Rohn 15 towers to improve the
angle of radiation on 80 meters. They work awesome on 30 meters
as well as the other WARC bands for which there are no other antennas
to use out there.

We also have a rotatable 5 element 20 meter yagi at 70 feet. A 4 element
20 meter yagi fixed on Japan at 80 feet (on the side of the 130 foot
40 meter tower). Two rotatable 5 element 15 meter yagis, each at
70 feet. A rotatable 6 element 10 meter yagi at 51 feet and a
6 element 10 meter yagi fixed on Japan at 60 feet. We also
have a sloper for 160 meters.

We have a lot of fun during the CQWW weekends out there every
year.

73 es cu all next weekend as part of the multi-multi effort
from 29 Palms as N6AW de Mike/W6RW