[TowerTalk] Ground clamps on 25G

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground clamps on 25G
From: bogus@does.not.exist.com ()
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:06:13 EST
In a message dated 98-11-19 10:17:59 EST, n6rfm@gis.net writes:

> I'm planning to use bronze ground clamps to attach #4 copper wires for
>  grounding to my 25G tower.  The wires will not be in direct contact with
the
>  tower as it attaches separately to the clamps.

     The problem is that the galvanizing and the bronze clamps are very
dissimilar metals and will deteriorate rapidly. The best tower leg clamp for
round legs that I've seen is a hose clamp from Polyphaser that has a piece of
stainless steel sheet metal to transition between the copper wire and the
galvanized leg (p/n TK-2 - they're $5.95 each).  Champion Radio Products is
adding the Polyphaser line to our web site along with other grounding
products. Email to sales@championradio.com or 888-833-3104 for more info.

>  SInce the tower is galvanized is the use of a bronze transition adequate or
>  should I use some sort of anti-ox compound between the bronze clamp and the
>  galvanized tower leg ?  If so, any suggestions as to specific anti-ox
>  compound ?

      I'm not aware of any anti-oxidant for galvanized materials but use of a
typical one (Pentrox, etc.) will be helpful for any outdoor
electrical/mechanical joint. If you can't find it locally, Champion Radio
Products carries it.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC
Champion Radio Products