[TowerTalk] Ground clamps on 25G

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground clamps on 25G
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 23:20:41 -0500
Hi Barry,

> So, there must be more to galvanic corrosion than just where various
> elements sit on the potential chart.

Sure is. Some materials self-contaminate with an oxide that insulates the
connection, like aluminum.

Other materials are so hard they don't conform well to the surface they are
clamping to, and that let's moisture and contaminants in that form salts
that insulate the connection.

Other materials have a wide smooth surface that distributes the clamping
force over a wide area, so pressure between the surfaces is not high enough
to force a good electrical connection.

Any material needs some type of compound to keep moisture out of the actual
contact area, like the stuff used in electrical boxes to prevent contact
corrosion. Even regular grease works, although compounds designed for this
purpose are better.

While potential difference is important, there's a lot more to this than
just using one material over another. The shape, hardness, and distribution
of pressure at the connection point is just as important as the materials
used.

Nature tries to make any rigid interface contact at only three points
against another rigid surface. I like teeth on the clamps I use, with
enough clamping force to bend or distort the two surfaces into connections
at more than three point, with lots of pressure at those points. UL is not
so caviler as to not understand all this.

73 Tom

For example, I recently purchased
w2up@mindspring.com