[TowerTalk] Ground clamps on 25G

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground clamps on 25G
From: jimsmith@ns.net (Jim Smith)
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 08:49:54 -0800
>My conclusion now is that we are both correct but talking about
>different circumstances

    Yes, and maybe different locations. My experiences are limited to my own
small world.

>The current density for the cathode is not terribly important
>because the cathode is not the sacrificial member of the system.
>But the sacrificial process speed is proportional to the current
>density.  So lowering it for the anode material is of paramount
>importance.  Corrosion is still going on, but it is at an
>extremely low rate.

    I never see the corrosion here, but I know it's still going on at a slow
rate.

>Could there be active cathodic protection systems involved at
>these facilities?  Y'all bury any graphite or solid zinc
>electrodes?

    I've never seen any kind of cathodic protection installed or specified
for any electrical work in my career. I have it specified for certain pipes
run within the same trench with the electrical. Maybe noone cares about
corrosion on conduits since the conduit's integrity isn't critical. In
highly corrosive atmospheres, I run Ocal (vinyl) coated rigid conduit.
Jim Smith, KQ6UV