[TowerTalk] Antenna Tuner design

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Tuner design
From: perring@texas.net (Bob Perring)
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 19:23:41 +0000
I use antenna tuners in my station so as to always allow for my low pass
filters to see 50 ohms when excursions to SSB take me away from the CW
portions of the bands, thus optimizing low pass and band pass filter
capabilities to their designed performance expectations. In a city
environment proper filtering and grounding is important.

I have a Heath SA-2060 going to one radio.
I have a Heath SA-2040 going to another radio.

Beyond the differences of the 2060 having an in-out switch, metering, and
components that allow the unit to go to 160 meters, there is another
difference.

The SA-2060 has a series input capacitor of 250 uf, followed by a 28 uh
roller inductor that connects to gnd, followed by another series capacitor
of 250 uf, then connection to the antenna.

The SA-2040 has an input capacitor of split rotor design, with one section
in series (same as above), and one section going to gnd, followed by a 12
uh roller inductor that connects to gnd, followed by another series
capacitor of 170 uf, then connection to the antenna.

Except for the component values differing, the only difference is in the
use of a split rotor capacitor for the input on the model SA-2040.

I know what differences I observe in the use of these two units, but to
reveal same would perhaps jade the possible answers to my question.

What are the relative merits of one design over the other?
Q, component cost, what ?

I'm doing the research in my library as I type, but asking here is probably
a faster route to obtaining an answer.

73,
Bob, N5RP