[TowerTalk] telephone pole as tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] telephone pole as tower
From: perring@texas.net (N5RP)
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 18:58:28 +0000
At 12:29 2/14/99 -0600, Scott Neader KA9FOX wrote:
>W0AIH has a bunch of pole towers... they all have the top section of a
>tower mounted to the top of the pole.
=======================>
I did that back in the late 60's using Rohn 25 cone tops as the very last
piece attached to the top of the creosoted pole.

After the pole is mounted, take a top section up and bolt it in place using
large lag bolts.
You may have to do some brute force or shim style dimension altering, but
it will work quite well.

Use a  spirit level, adjust the tower section for true vertical, hold it in
place with some temporary nails, then go to drilling starter holes for the
bolts.

On a couple of occasions we had to run a large copper ground wire up the
pole in order to make some antennas behave themselves. Never did understand
why that was, but the "cure" worked without knowing what the "disease"
really was. This was especially true when we mounted a Classic 36 antenna
by Mosley. Old man Carl Mosley even came out to verify what we did to cure
the problem with his antenna. That was one specific problem antenna that I
recall. Don't remember any other specific antennas that aggravated us.

Those towers were Hell bent for Stout, and withstood Illinois flatland
tornadoes on more than just a few occasions.

N5RP

C. Robert Perring
Consultant to Technology ATD3
12715 Westmere