[TowerTalk] Problems with YAESU Rotor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Problems with YAESU Rotor
From: k1ttt@berkshire.net (David Robbins)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 00:37:45 +0000
you aren't the only lucky one, i have 4 of them here.  a g-1000sdx,
a g-2700sdx, and 2 g-2800sdx's.  the rotors themselves have performed
flawlessly, even with heavy ice and winds.  the 2700 is turning an old 6
element telrex 20m, and one 2800 is turning the same vintage 8 element
15m telrex... both real monsters.  they do have some control box
problems, the early ones seemed to have cheap drive motors in the
control box.  the motor commutator segments were too soft and after some
time the copper would wipe and fill the commutator gaps.  if not caught
quick enough this can smoke two small resistors in the drive circuit.
it seems like the resistors act as fuses and protect the drive
transistors, so bigger resistors may not be the fix here.  the
replacement motors seem better so maybe they found a better one.  the
other common problem is the mast clamp castings, i had 2 of them break
on installation.  both were replaced immediately at no charge... the
funny thing is, one of them stayed up the tower holding a 40-2cd
perfectly all winter despite the crack.

Dennis Shoaf wrote:

> Wow, after reading all of these issues with the Yaesu rotor, I must be the
> 1 in a million lucky one.
> About 2 1/2-3 yrs ago, I purchased a G-1000SDX Yaesu Rotor from Okla. Comm.
> Center.  It is mounted on a 50 ft tower & turning a 2 element, 4 band Quad
> ever since.  I have yet to have any problems with it.  When I was talking
> to the salesmen there, I wanted to buy the T2X tailtwister and he highly
> recommended that I go with Yaesu.  Sez to me, "Yaesu technology is 10 yrs
> ahead of Hy-gain & rest of the rotors out there".   Whether or not it is, I
> don't know..  All I know is that mine has been trouble free.  Perhaps I
> should count my blessings.?
>
> Dennis
> W4DWS, ex AE4EI
>
> --