[TowerTalk] Gin Pole Strength

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gin Pole Strength
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 01:52:11 -0700
The other 1659# was in the cable tension running from the top of the boom
down to the cable winch.  But then, if the crane was using multiple pullys,
there was not an additional 1659#.  It was considerably less because of the
mechanical advantage of the system . . .

I am sure whatever system is used to determine the load on the hook takes
into consideration the mechanical advantage of the pullys used in the
crane.  Just because the hook can support only 2000# does not mean the boom
can't support a lot more than that . . .

This situation is just enough different than a gin pole to confuse the heck
out of it.  The gin pole is supposed to be vertical or darn close to it and
crane booms operate somewhat off vertical which, yes, changes the situation
enough to make it "apples and oranges".

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com