[TowerTalk] Guy wire interaction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy wire interaction
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 06:20:21 +0000
Guys,

I think the question is not whether guy wires interact but how much.
After all parasitic arrays are a reality (your yagi works doesn't it?
and Lentz's law on induction hasn't been repealed by any government
agency that I know about just yet) Induced currents in conductors will
radiate.  The crux of the matter is how much relative to the main
radiator/array.  IMHO I think the only viable tool that we as hams have
to address "how much" are the antenna modeling software programs.  If
they say it's a problem, you have two choices: believe it or don't.  If
you believe it and the effect is meaningful than some fix (e.g.
phylistran or fibreglass) maybe be in order.  Which guys to
replace/modify would be dictated by further model calculations.  If you
don't believe the models, then fine. Live with what you have.  I've got
to believe the old practice of breaking up guy wires to make them
non-resonant (in the pre computer model days) was based upon sound
engineering.  The difficulty is that there is just about no way to break
up guy wires (expect perhaps keeping unbroken lengths down to 6' or
less) if you want to operate all bands from 160-10 around densely packed
towers and antennas like are typical for non-estate sized ham
installations.

You can't fool mother nature, although mother nature can make fools of
us.

My two cents....
73 de Brian/K3KO