[TowerTalk] EHS Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] EHS Question
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 10:26:10 EDT
In a message dated 99-04-25 04:00:33 EDT, no6x@inreach.com writes:

> APPARENTLY I have never seen EHS...
>  Is it not the same thing as the power company uses to guy their poles. I
>  had assumed all this time it was, as it is the same stuff (only in 1/2")
>  that is on the 200 foot tower at work.
>  I am in need of some, and if this is not the right stuff, I am looking in
>  the wrong place.
>  Would love to just order 1000 feet from Texas Towers, however I feel it
>  would probably cost another 149 bucks to ship it.
>  Been trying to find it locally.
>  Could it be that I am really looking for the wrong thing?

      Probably. There are seven grades of wire cable - EHS is just one of
them. There is a 'utility' grade; that might be the one that the utility
companies use.

      EHS, BTW, stands for extra high strength. EHS is very stiff cable and
is difficult to bend. If you've got some cable and it bends or cuts easily -
it ain't EHS. And it isn't suitable for tower applications.

      Each grade has a different breaking strength and is used for different
applications. I have written about guy wires in my last 2 or 3 'Up The Tower'
columns in CQ Contest magazine. An SASE to Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072,
will get you a reprint.