[TowerTalk] Matching capacitors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Matching capacitors
From: georgec@seanet.com (George Claussen)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:23:39 +0000
Interesting indeed, Drake did not take shortcuts! One advantage to
the "PC-Board Capacitor" is the very low inherent inductive reactance.
However one problem in homebrewing such a beast is trying to find out
the characteristics of the insulating material. (Dialectric constant,
puncture voltage, etc.) I sure would be skeptical of the garden variety
flea-market stuff out there if the intended purpose required a nice high
"Q" or needed to withstand high RF voltages. BTW, VE3ERP has written a
neat DOS/Basic based set of routines which make it very easy to crunch
the numbers for designing cap's es coils. Software is free, and is
called "Hamcalc". (George/VE3ERP does ask for a small donation made out
to the Canadian Society for the Blind).  73, George, N7GC, (the OLD ONE)