[TowerTalk] Steel Ground Rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Steel Ground Rods
From: aa0cy@nwrain.com (Bob Wanderer)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 08:22:23 -0800
In acidic soiul, you ought to use aluminum or tinned copper.
Professionally, EIA/TIA222F requires galvanized rods and
non-copper-based wire/strap no
matter what.  This is due to some tower problems allegedly
caused by corrosion due to dissimilar metals.  I personally
think the new rules are shortsighted and solve one problem
at the expense of incurring others.  There are too many issues
involved to demand one size fits all.  Interestingly enough, the
driving force behind this revision is a company called Anchor
Guard which makes anodic/cathodic protection devices for when
dissimilar metals are an issue.  It sounds to me like they're cutting
their own throat, but maybe I am not cognizant of all the aspects.

73,
Bob AA0CY