[TowerTalk] Tower concerns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower concerns
From: ae4mr@arrl.org (Dave Armbrust)
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 02:44:03 -0500
Hank,

Thanks for all your help on my tower.  I really appreciate it as I am trying
to do this right.  In my area amateurs are exempt from the tower ordinance
thanks to the efforts of the local hams and PRB-1.  Non-amateur towers are
limited to 35 feet in residential areas and they must be wind loaded to 105
MPH, engineered plans must be submitted, the tower must be camouflaged (what
ever that means) and permits are required.  But for amateurs we are total
exempt but that does not mean I do not want to do this right.

I follow you 100% on the cantilever moment of the antennas other then I was
using a higher figure of 110 MPH squared x .00256 x 1.2 (round members) or
37.17 lb per sf.  You appear to be using a factor of 408 / 9.7 x .8 or 33.65
lb per sf.  I will assume that your figure is more up to date but would
appreciate having the formula you are using for wind loading.

I did not understand your figure of 43,721 ft-lbs x .8 or 34,976.8 ft-lbs
for cantilever moment of the tower alone.  I came up with the 18.8 sf (40' x
.47 sf per ft) x 20' (average height of tower above bracket) x 33.65 lb per
sf wind load or 12,652.4 ft-lbs cantilever moment for the tower itself.
Please explain how I should have figured the tower's cantilever moment and
the logic behind it.

I did not understand the lateral force calculation that you made either
perhaps you would be kind enough to shed some light on these for me too.

I have also come up with 3.38 sf for the mast itself and 3.31 sf for four
3/8" feed lines.  Taking all of this into account I came up with a total of
32,150 ft lbs.  I did not allow for the wind load of the rotor yet.

Several have suggested that I guy the tower.  I really do not want to go
there as whatever method I could use would not match any guy configurations
from Rohn.  In addition one of the guys would come very near the front door!
One of the reasons for me to use Rohn 45 is that I do not want to guy the
tower.  I would rather take down some of the tower sections.

That brings me to the next question.  Both yours and my figures show the
tower is overloaded and that I do need to take down some of the tower but
how much?  Using my calculation which seems to be even less conservative
then yours it seems that I need to take down three sections!  (I came up
with 15,355 cantilever moment for only 20' of tower above the bracket.)
This would leave me with only a 25 foot tower!  Logic seems to state this is
going too far the other way.  It seems I could do just as well with a push
up pole instead of Rohn 45g!

I would like to make a few comments off the top of my head.  It seems to me
designing this tower to 110 MPH is a bit extreme.  If we were to get this
kind of winds here it would most likely tear my roof off and take the
bracket and tower with it!  If for some miraculous reason my roof survives
the other things like cows and my neighbor's roof flying through the air at
110 MPH will likely hit the tower and take it down anyways!  Adding even
more in for gust and exposure seems even more extreme.  Plus you state that
Rohn has added in a 1/3 stress increase!  I am all for safety and that is
why I have asked for some guidance in the first place but it seems that each
step has added in something for safety and now it seems that the only safe
tower is an horizontal one on the ground!

It also seems that 9.7 sf (5.5 sf, 1.8 sf, 1.2 sf and 1.2 sf) is relatively
modest antenna system and to say I can only go 25 feet with Rohn 45 seems
frankly a bit ridiculous.

For me to actually go to a PE does not seem to be the answer either.  He
will want to know what wind load to design it to also.  If I say 110 MPH
then he will come to the same conclusions that this post does.

73--
Dave Armbrust - AE4MR
ARRL WCF Section Manager
(941)378-1701 Fax: (941)929-0040