[TowerTalk] Tower concerns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower concerns
From: rmoodyg@juno.com (rmoodyg@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:43:24 -0500
Seems to me that the gist of all this is that those of us who live in
Florida or
on the Gulf coast can't have an antenna larger than a rubber duckie on
top
of any reasonably tall tower.    I see all these ads for towers with X
number
of square feet of antenna at 50 mph!  What a joke.  My unguyed, house
bracketed, 40 foot Rohn 25 has been up for the last 20+ years.  I don't
have a permit,  (A bad idea, I agree) and it's made it through Andrew and
couple of lesser hurricanes.  When I looked at the Rohn catalogue when I
bought the tower, I realized that getting it approved would be
impossible, so
I didn't try.  What's a feller to do??  I sympathize with anyone trying
to put up
any kind of stick here or wherever the county wind figure is 110 or
higher.

Gil
W4PJI

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:31:14 EST K7LXC@aol.com writes:
> In a message dated 1/15/01 10:02:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> aa4lr@arrl.net
> writes:
>
> > Do you want to do it "right" or "good enough"? Your source is
> correct
> >  that Rohn tower sections are actually stronger than their
> published
> >  figures. The design rules are likely to be 200-300% over the
> rated loads.
>
>     I don't think that's right. The figures I've seen are 30-50%.
> The problem
> is that wind pressures do not go up linearly - the pressures go up
> geometrically. You run out of engineering overhead real quick if
> your tower
> takes a gust higher than your design windspeed. For instance, a wind
> 71 MPH
> exerts windpressure of 20 PSF; a gust at 87 MPH has a force of 30
> PSF - a 50%
> increase for a 16 MPH increase in windspeed.
>
>     The LXC Prime Directive still applies - DO what the manufacturer
> says.
>
> Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
> Tower Tech
>
> --