[TowerTalk] Tower concerns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower concerns
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:38:09 EST
In a message dated 1/15/01 10:02:26 AM Pacific Standard Time, aa4lr@arrl.net
writes:

> >As the Section Manager I know of many, many, amateur towers.  But I do not
>  >know of any that have hired a P.E. to design the tower!

    Actually the tower has already been designed. What the Professional
Engineer does is to design the base, rebar cage and guy anchors for local
conditions. He runs calcs on the tower structure to see what the forces are
so that it'll be a safe, reliable structure.

    In many cases, building departments will require a PE stamp in order to
issue a building permit.

>  That's because hams are cheap. The really, really "right" way is to hire
>  a PE. Then you'll have hard numbers, and you'll know if your installation
>  will stand.

    Always good advice. You'll be real happy that you did that when that
first big storm rolls through and you won't be laying there in bed wishing
that you had done it in the first place.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech