[TowerTalk] Tower Concerns continued

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Concerns continued
From: mmurphy@n-focus.com (Mike Murphy)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:45:20 -0500
I have been watching this post for some time.  I can't help but wonder if we
are forgetting that an exterior wall of a house was never meant to take a
lateral load, especially from 30 or 40 feet of tower hanging over it.  An
exterior wall is meant to support the roof, not a tower pushing and pulling
on it.

I have put up, taken down and serviced a number of towers.  And it simply
amazes me what hams "get away" with.  It may work for a while, maybe
forever.  But if you need 110 MPH wind survival, put up a free standing
tower that is designed for it.  Otherwise you are playing with fire, not to
mention taking a chance on pulling down part of your house.

Michael Murphy - KD8OK