[TowerTalk] Thrust bearing preference

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing preference
From: ve6nap@oanet.com (Gerald Caouette)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:31:48 -0700
Have used this type of thrust bearing here at my home locaton and at VE6SV's

Several of these bearings have been in service
for about 10 years in weather ranging from  - 40 to + 30 degrees C
Rain ice snow etc.
These bearings are made for HD industiral applications and use
an eccentric locking ring style collar keeps the mast centered
and when properly installed will support massive amounts of weight
Teh  units  used at teh VE6SV location are rated at over
15000 lb static axial load  and about 25000 lb of rotating axial load
lubricated with a good synthetic grease these have yet to give us
any problems - I belive we finaly got around to adding grease to them
about 2 yrears ago  - not that they needed it though   -
you could uncouple the array and turn it with your pinky

Some of this type of bearing have been in service out doors for well over
40 years without the benifit of modern synthetic greases and
bearing lip seal designs

where my  my experiance with Rohn  - Yeasu - Delhi -  and other so called
antenna mast - thrust bearings shows them to be more of a
light duty - short life animal - they do not require much in the way of
mechanical aptitude to install and therfore are  porobably a safer and
better bet for some to install in light duty enviroments

A bit of loctite - removable thread locker ( ligh tblue stuff ) also will act
to prevent the set screw from rusting into place.  Some prefer to replace
the set screw with a set bolt  ( square headed set screw )
should work ok - except in the heaviest of ice conditions
then it may add to the force required to break the ice away
from  on top of the tower

When tightning the eccentric ring use the proper ring spanner to get it
seated tightly without damage to the spanner pin holes in the ring.

will make future work a lot easier - The right tool for the job.

Regards
Gerald Caouette
9116 - 79 street
Edmonton, Alberta