[TowerTalk] re: quad

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re: quad
From: nt6b-vk7lm@dreamsoft.com (Lonnie (NT6B))
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 11:37:43 -0800
Hi Yuri....thank you for all your thoughts and trials on your  antenna and
what you feel makes it superior to Yagis...truth is, unless your
comparisons are done at the same time, same location, same tower height,
equipment such as transceivers, amps etc, including feed lines and
connections such as baluns, etc your claims will only draw criticism from
most of us who know better.  As it has been mentioned, share what you have,
as its really no secret, looks and appears to be a design that I have seen
and have tried years ago, the Quagi (s) but I may be incorrect here.  Your
design has Quad elements and Yagi elements correct?  There is no secret to
antenna design and yours is no different than mine and those who make
claims for short booms that blow yagis away, dual driven elements, whether
Quads or Yagis etc....they all have their place on the Amateur scene and
they all seem to fill the bill, so to speak, for amateurs given the amount
of land or location, financial status, where they decide to place their
towers and equipment.

I really have enjoyed this thread, seeing the real experts challenge you to
bring your design forward to place the numbers where they really make the
difference to those of us who know where the numbers should be in order to
be qualify your comparisons and beliefs about Gain, F/B  etc.

Its obvious that your not going to do that, therefore, continue making
claims that are not accepted by most and you will continue to draw
individuals who know and will continue to challenge you to come
forward.  Kinda "Hide and Seek" or for some a "Pissing Contest"...kinda
liked that one!  Providing unconfirmed numbers and claims used to work back
in the 60's-70's and 80's when computer designs were not available to most
of us...noted the article in CQ is in the 80's, but today those claims just
won't work.  The one I really like that seems appropriate is "Put up or
Shut Up", (seems to fit here).  This isn't meant to offend you Yuri, but I
think you know what I mean..."its just a saying".

I also noticed and a couple of others have said, you qualify individuals by
callsign who tend to hold truth in the quad design theory...if your going
to do that, you might consider contacting them to see if they still use the
Quad design because some of them currently don't.  I say "some" because I
don't know all of them personally but some I do, and they don't any
longer.  Why don't they...well probably because they found out that either
design works pretty well for what they want to do and the overall anguish
of having a Quad design lends itself to location, location, location.  If
you have the proper location, you can live with either design and they both
work equally as well but the Yagi works without the anguish of pending
disaster from the elements and one can sleep well at night.  And lastly, I
can live with Quads being slightly better on paper but the fact is most
amateurs have yagis for a multitude of reasons none of which support the
claims of 10 DB etc. between the designs made by receiving stations.  When
you use numbers to compare experiments you have made, you will continue to
draw criticism from individuals who know what those kinds of numbers equate
to or mean.... If those numbers were true and factual, all of us would have
Quads and Quad designs, possibly even yours.  Your encounters with the VK0,
K1MM  etc you mention mean nothing to support your design .....thats called
propagation nothing more or less.  All of us, at times, have received the
same type of reports of being the only one heard etc....loudest signal on
the band etc. loudest signal in NA!  Your not alone, we've all been there
but most of us don't talk about it in relation to our designs of antennas.

One other note...I seem to recall a article some years ago, and it wasn't
CQ with a design similar to yours...and maybe it was yours...I will try to
find it and if I do, I will post it to towertalk for all to view.  No
promises here but I will try.

All the best to you Yuri and the group.

73's....Lonnie  (NT6B)