[TowerTalk] Beverage antenna question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beverage antenna question
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 05:44:24 -0600
Rick,

We have  very similar situations.  My property is 540 ft NS
and 300 ft EW at the North end, 400 ft EW at the South end,
with a creek meandering around on the east side.

I have two bi-directional 525 ft wires running along 30 / 210 deg
and 150 / 330 deg.  My East and NE Beverages run in unused
woods beyond my property lines.  (I guess I need to get on the
stick and publish my bi-directional design).

My recommendations:  N/S Beverages are a waste of effort.
(Almost NOTHING comes from due north, even stations over the
pole.  Only CE0 and Central America comes in from due south).
LP almost always comes along the terminators at Sunrise and
Sunset, approximately 160 deg and 200 deg.  It is useful to have
Beverages every 30 degrees if possible, skipping N and S.
Every 45 is OK (say 45, 90, 135, 225, 270, 315).

500 to 600 ft works VERY WELL on 80 / 40M, OK on 160.
800 to 1200 ft works better on 160 but sucks on 80 / 40
until very late at night, several hours after sunset.  Short
Beverages (240 to 400 ft) can be surprisingly good at times,
especially on 40M.

Use #14 or #16 wire.  Anything smaller breaks too easy.
My old Beverages are made from stranded THHN which
can be spliced easily.  My newer Beverages are #14
soft copper.  When they catch falling limbs, they just
STRETCH instead of breaking :-).  A mechanical "FUSE"
made of smaller wire or string at the ends will protect
the wire from breaking and makes for simple repair.

If you have trees, you can make a nice wire vertical for
80 / 40M.  I have a 61 ft 'half Bow Tie' that has excellent
bandwidth on 80M fed with 1/4 WL of RG58 then 1/2 inch
CATV hardline to the house.

A second short tower (40 ft) and another tribander is
VERY useful for contesting.  80M dipoles at 140 to
160 ft play VERY WELL.  Aim at EA / ZL, JA / S.A.

de  Tom  N4KG

(7 towers, 20+ TX antennas, 7 Beverages, 4 acres)