[TowerTalk] Beverage antenna question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beverage antenna question
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 07:21:13 -0500
> the house and the XYL's gardens. My problem is that the NS beverage
> will be only 50' of the tower.

Much too close..although your luck may vary.

> I don't know how to get a hold of him so I can't ask permission worse
> case is he will tell me to get it off his property and I will do so if
> and when asked.

That isn't the worse that can happen.

The worse that can happen is someone can get hurt on the
antenna, such as riding a horse or dirt bike. Without permission to
install it, you might be in extra-hot water! I'd at least use breakable
insulated wire, like hookup wire, and avoid steel or thick copper
wires.

> terminate under the high power lines running along the road. Could
> this cause problems with line noise?

If the lines have any noise at all, it will guarantee you will have
noise problems...no matter which end you feed the antenna from.

> beverages from the point where they meet at the SW corner of the
> property or feed the EW one from there and the NS from the North end
> of the North end under the power lines? Is this a worth while project
> or will the beverage be too short to be worth while?I plan to use them
> for receive only on 80 and 160.

Sounds like you might be better off with a EWE antenna or a Flag,
or groups of them phased. .....and why N/S E/W? NE/SW and
NW/SE are generally better choices.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com