[TowerTalk] Connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connectors
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 00:24:07 -0400
I hope readers understand in my prior post that I'm not real happy with
16 amps or 800 volts (rms) on an N connector. In my mind I'm considering
how legal 60 Hz connectors look for those kinds of numbers. So I'm
already headed for the exits *before* W8JI adds his list of objections.
Perhaps I need to add [sarcasm intended] to some of my posts.

I say using an N at 1.5 kW is "tight" only because some have gotten away
with it, including some PVRC around here.

It's like overloading Rohn 25. Just because it doesn't fall down in the
first five minutes doesn't mean it may not. Nor should someone else's
getting away with it for 25 years convince you that it's not down in the
first big storm at *your* place.

I become less enamoured of tower climbing with advancing age. Breakdowns
induce climbing and have this nasty way of happening during maximum use
and worst weather(at night on a stormy contest weekend). Sometimes we
feed Murphy so much in advance that he doesn't even work up a sweat to
get us.

Thanks, Tom, for the description of the mod. Think I will spend the bux
for a regular UHF for the hardline tower end, and place the modified
ones at the sheltered or ground terminal ends.  Where, in case my
craftsmanship is not the best, I can repair it on the ground.

And if the commercial one blows up on the tower, hey, even Alpha's get
smoked now and then.

I *have* roasted a few N's myself.

73, y'all

Guy Olinger, K2AV