[TowerTalk] Connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connectors
From: glcazzola@iol.it (Gian Luca Cazzola)
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 18:47:37 +0100
I agree that phenolic (brown-yellow insulators) or teflon Amphenol PL259 are
probably the best UHF connectors on the market.
Anyway, after using some old 3 parts-Kings PL259A silver plated (bought from
Surplus Sales of Nebraska) I think that silver plating make easier the
soldering job than with the usual nickel plating, with even better-stronger
soldered joints.
 Also, the faster soldering job reduce the risk of damaging the coaxial
cables.
 Does anybody know where in the Usa I can buy Amphenol PL259 silver plated
connectors?
About the N connectors, I think it is as getting away money to use them on
HF.
After some problems with the N cables connecting to my Bird 43, I even
changed the Bird N sockets to Bird UHF females.
Of course, after this change I had no more problems.
Tks es 73
Ian IK4EWX