[TowerTalk] Connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connectors
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:21:53 -0400
With 1500 watts passing through an N connector, a flat 50 ohm load gives
roughly 275 volts and 5.5 amps. A two to one SWR could raise the voltage to
roughly 400 volts or the current to roughly 8 amps, if the connector was
unfortunately situated in a voltage or current maxima.

These would fall into the range of reasonably encountered currents and voltages
in *legal* amateur stations.

How much of a safety margin? Two to one? Figure whether you are happy with 16
amperes of RF on that little N pin. Or whether you like 800 volts of volts of
RF on the gap between a BNC center conductor and sleeve.

Otherwise just understand you are running "tight" on that N connector.

I have N connectors for my 1 1/4 hard line. Wonder if W8JI has posted just how
he "machined" the hardline N connectors for UHF?

73, y'all,

Guy.