[TowerTalk] Knicked/Gauged Coax !

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Knicked/Gauged Coax !
From: kh7m@hsa-kauai.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:44:43 -1000
Hi all,

Oh my,  in a fit of fierce green menace trimming,
my son took his chain saw to the out of control
foliage here about.

In the process,  thinking my piece of LMR-900 was
a limb, he began going for it!  Realizing the mistake,
he backed off.  However,  now in my main coax
twix shack and remote Ameritron antenna switch,
my coax has about an inch long gouge;  deep enough
that you can just begin to see the copper center conductor
peeking through the white dielectric material.  The saw took
out about 120 degrees or so of the circumference of the
coax.

I have tapped over the "wound",  but wonder what evil
will occur when next I fire up my linear to full legal power.
Of course the LMR-900 is way overkill,  but I was taken
away in a fit of super conservatism when looking into
salvaging every fraction of dB when putting this run in
back three or so years ago.  Length of the LMR run is
only about 90 feet,  and this knick is just about mid-way
along.

I have other coax,  not big LMR,  but should I change out
this piece,  or just close my eyes to the tapped wound,
and QSO away?  Do any good to expose more of the
outer conductor and tape some copper foil to bridge
the outer shield opening?

73,  Jim,  KH7M

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers, safety
equipment, rigging gear, LOOS tension guages & more!
http://www.championradio.com

-----