[TowerTalk] Petrezewski (sp?) array ..

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Petrezewski (sp?) array ..
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 20:43:55 +0100
N4ZR:
>One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the tower in the center of
>such an array can play a significant role, at least as reflected in the
>currents that flow on it.  I'm not sure what experience has been with the
>effect of a tower in the center of a 4-square.

        The tower and unbroken metal guys all MAY affect the pattern.
If you don't detune the tower and use nonresonant guys, no telling what
the pattern will look like unless you model it accurately beforehand
(including the tower and unbroken metal guy wires).  Some systems may work
and some won't depending on resonances of the tower and guys.  I prefer
removing as many variables as possible and not counting on luck that
everything will work as expected.  I even pull in my 80M sloper from
my 10 meter tower during contests because I can see the effect of the
sloper in both absolute SWR and variations as I rotate the 10M Yagis...
no telling what it is doing to my pattern since modeling shows my Yagis
"see" each other even though they are spaced 1 wavelength apart.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers, safety
equipment, rigging gear, LOOS tension guages & more!
http://www.championradio.com

-----