[TowerTalk] Lower Mast Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lower Mast Question
From: w9re@worldnet.att.net (Mike Wetzel)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:15:11 -0500
Sylvan,

Not sure what is cheaper than schedule 40 aluminum!  In my installation I
have a 120' rotating mast alongside of one of my 160' towers that has 3 -15
meter antennas and 2-10 meter antennas on it that rotates from about 90 deg
to about 315 degrees and I used 2-1/2" schedule 40 aluminum pipe on it.  I
coupled each section with a clamp that was a short section of steel pipe
that had approximately the same i.d. as the o.d. of the aluminum pipe.   The
steel coupling was split along the center line and had ears welded on both
side with 4 -3/8" bolts bolting a joint together.   It has been up for
almost 15 years with good results and not much torsional twist.

Mike W9RE

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com

-----