[TowerTalk] Guy wires as inverted Vee?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy wires as inverted Vee?
From: b_bradfield@yahoo.com (Brad Bradfield)
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:47:55 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Tom - -

I've been doing just this for nearly 20 years.  When I originally put
up my tower, I insulated the top set of guys, and feed it with window
line. I had originally intended to place a relay switching box at the
apex to switch the feedline between any pair of guys, but never got
quite that fancy.  The galvanized steel is certainly not as good a
conductor as copper, but if anything, the only effect is some change to
the effective length.  In short, it's worked fine.

efficient unless you have the real estate for a significant set of
radials.

73,

Brad, W5CGH

======================

--- Tom Mattus <wa9wsj@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello again! What is the collective wisdom on using
> guy wires as an inverted Vee? Specificaly for 75
> meters, maybe switchable from side to side? Since I
> have the opportunity to incorporate this idea, before
> the system is constructed, I would like to know if it
> is really that good. What complications might I be up
> against? They will be on a 70' tower. Hmmm, another
> thought, would it be more efficient to load the tower
> instead? Insulating the guys from same, etc...
> I haven't run across this in the archives, unless I
> just missed it, a guy can go stir crazy looking at all
> that good info!!!
>
> Thanks again,
> Tom

> http://auctions.yahoo.com/
>
> List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
> safety equipment, rigging gear, LOOS tension guages & more!
> http://www.championradio.com
>
> -----

=====
Brad Bradfield, PE                     Senior Test Engineer
W5CGH (ex WB0CGH)                                  Motorola

Real men talk with their fingers!!

NORTEX     QRP-L #377     QRP-ARCI #10012    SMIRK #4906
ARS #72    NORCAL     Austin QRP Club #i