[TowerTalk] Quad Question(s)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Quad Question(s)
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 11:30:26 +0000
Richard,

I've worked with this stuff helping a friend with his Lightning Bolt
Quad.  It is impossible to work with because takes a permanent set. It
is as bad or worse than copperweld because the loops you have to deal
with are small diameter. Kind of like a slinky.  You have to stretch
it like crazy before installing it.  Even then the elements are not
straight. I suppose if you get it cheap, it's OK but a pain.

I'd never use it again.

Keep in mind Lightning Bolt is manufactured by somebody who also does
welding for a living.  That may clue you in why he uses welding wire.
I doubt that it has any redeeming electrical or physical properties.

73 de Brian/K3KO

Richard Thorne wrote:

> Paul:
>
> A friend just put up my old Lightning Bolt quad.  That antenna uses aluminum
> welding wire for the elements.  Its very strong and won't stretch.  You need
> two spools which cost about $8 each.  I can't remember the alloy but it
> appeared to be about 16 or 18 gauge wire.  You may want to check with LB to
> see what type of welding wire it is.
>
> 4 wrote:
>
> > Hello fellow antennaites,
> >
> > This summer's antenna project is to erect my first HF beam.  It will be
> > a 5-band (10-20M), 2-element quad.  I bought used the spreaders (used to
> > be a cubex mark2), boom, and spiders.  But all the elements were
> > removed.
> >
> > My question:  do I need to use copperweld (what gauge?) or is something
> > like 12-14ga stranded oK?  My part of the country does not get snow or
> > ice, but it can get a bit windy.
> >
> > also: any other quad construction advice is very welcome. e.g.: I
> > already have been told the best method to single coax feed is with a
> > remote coax switch and use 75 ohm stubs...
> >
> > thanks
> >       73
> >           paUl
> >
> > List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
> > safety equipment, rigging gear, LOOS tension guages & more!
> > http://www.championradio.com
> >
> > -----
> > FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/towertalk
>
> --
> 73,
> Richard Thorne
> Amarillo, TX
> Amateur Radio Station - N5ZC (Ex. KA2DSY, N2BHP, WB5M)
> Remote Control Planes - AMA # 657062
> Web Page: http://www.tcac.net/~rthorne/index.html
>
> List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
> safety equipment, rigging gear, LOOS tension guages & more!
> http://www.championradio.com
>
> -----

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com