[TowerTalk] Quad Question(s)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Quad Question(s)
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 07:54:33 -0400
> Keep in mind Lightning Bolt is manufactured by somebody who also does
> welding for a living.  That may clue you in why he uses welding wire.
> I doubt that it has any redeeming electrical or physical properties.
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO

I don't know what kind of welding wire he uses, but hopefully it is
not the steel wire! Normal welding wire for welding ferrous metals
will rust and start to disappear in a very short time when used
outdoors.

If it is for aluminum welding, it probably would be too soft. It would
break easily, and you'd have a tough time making reliable
connections. I avoid aluminum electric fence wire for that reason.

I'd use a stranded pure copper wire (not copperweld) if I ever
wanted to build a quad, and stress relieve it near the spreaders
with some heatshrink over the wire!
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,