[TowerTalk] Top Hat Switch (mercury)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Top Hat Switch (mercury)
From: rhodes@evertek.net (Jim Rhodes)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 23:36:06 -0500
Have you considered an arrangement to switch between alternate feedpoints
at the bottom of the antenna. Insulate the botom 3.4 - 4 ft of the tubing &
use relays to switch between the lower section while shorting to the top
section or selecting the top feed & isolate the bottom section. I just love
Rube Goldberg constructions like this. could gain you back that fraction of
a dB that you would lose to inductive loading.

At 09:54 PM 7/18/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Many people have responded to my previous post.  All responses were quite
>valid and appreciated--thank you.  The consensus was to simply cut it for 75
>meters and base load it with a variable inductor arrangement (or variations
>on that theme).
>
>My quest for a top hat switch continues.  Why?  Because the thing models
>like it will play great!
>
>I'm building an 80/40 open sleeve vertical.  It will tune all of 40 at < 1.6
>or so.  It will tune all of 80 / 75 if I can get this hat on and off the
>tower.  The base loading is the most commonly used and possibly the easiest
>to fabricate.  I live in Minnesota and the base will be 5' or 6' under the
>snow in just 6 months.  Making a tunable roller inductor arrangement that
>will work in this environment is no simple task either...
>
>How about this option....
>
>Mount a mercury tip switch at the top of the tower in a box on a cam-like
>rotary arrangement (still designing that) and activate a latching
>arrangement using some 1/8" Stainless cable running up the middle of the
>pipe from the base of the tower.  I have these little 12 v solinoids that
>will pull several pounds about 1/2".  These are details I will work out in
>the shop.  My question is, have I simply created a very complicated
>mercury vapor lamp?
>
>The mercury switch is a vacuum.  The leads are about 1/4" apart as they
>escape the envelope.  At 21 volts per thousanth of an inch (handbook #), a
>1/4" gap should handle many KV.  (I only run 1KW max here at this time ~~
>3KV).  I know nothing about the conductivity of mercury.  For all I know it
>will explode in this environment!  A buddy of mine said "Hook it up and
>watch it.  If it looks like a strobe light mounted on your tower, you better
>shut it down."
>
>I think I can master the mechanical stuff.  What about the switch?  Anybody
>venture a guess as to how it will behave to RF as a top hat switch on my 1/4
>wave monopole?
>
>Ford-N0FP
>ford@cmgate.com
>

>List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
>for information on our fabulous Trylon Titan self-supporting towers - up to
>96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
>HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
>
>-----

Jim Rhodes K0XU