[TowerTalk] tieing utility and tower grounds together

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tieing utility and tower grounds together
From: Larry Alkoff" <labradley@mindspring.com (Larry Alkoff)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:17:36 -0500
On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:22:59 EDT, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 7/24/01 12:43:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>labradley@mindspring.com writes:
>
>> Here in Texas we have a lot of rock.  The only way to insert ground rods
>> vertically is to drill
>>  and with 16 foot separation I would have a lot of rock holes to drill!
>
>    You can also put ground rods in horizontally in the case of rocky 'soil'.
>Obviously go as deep as is practical but even if they're only a foot down
>they will be helpful.
>>
>>  For my tower I use 9 radials of 1.5" copper in a two foot trench.  No
>ground
>> rods.
>>  Do you think that would be adequate to run around the house for grounds?
>
>    Would what be adequate? I'm not sure what you're referring to. You mean
>more radials around the house or hooking everything together or...?

I meant deep buried radials w/o ground rods compared to horizontal ground rods
with
shallow connecting radials or wire for the house part of the system.

>    Copper strap is better than wire since it gives you more surface area for
>earth contact so it's the preferred material for rocky soil.
>
>    Since you're in a high lightning area I would add some horizontal ground
>rods to the house part of the system.
>
>Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
>Tower Tech

Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----