[TowerTalk] Hardline to F connector

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hardline to F connector
From: steve@oakcom.com (Steve Maki)
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 09:46:34 -0400
K3KO wrote:

>Guys,
>
>I'm fed up with using crummy RG59 to feed TV antenna. RG11 turns out
>to be even more lossy for the UHF channels.  I have enough 1/2" or
>3/4" CATV hardline to make the run.  However, it appears to be a
>challange to mate it with the type F connectors on the antenna preamp
>and TV.  I suppose a short length of RG59 on both ends would be OK.
>
>Any suggestions?  How do the cable guys do this?  It seems like I
>stand a chance of loosing most of what can be gained by poor adapters.

RG11 CATV cable has much better UHF performance than RG59 CATV
cable. We ARE talking apples to apples, right? Unless you have
a humongously long run, there will not be a worthwhile difference
going from RG11 CATV to 1/2" hardline.

ESPECIALLY if you are using an antenna preamp.

But:
Female F connectors for 1/2" hardline run around $6 - $10. I'm sure
I have some used ones from my days in the private cable bidness, so
let me know if you will need a couple. To install them properly you
you need a coring tool.

Also, a female F termination with decent performance to 1 GHZ can
be accomplished with only a double female F barrel, a small hose clamp,
and a fine tooth hacksaw, and a file, but it doesn't look pretty.

Steve K8LX