[TowerTalk] Hardline to F connector

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hardline to F connector
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:15:43 -0400
Hi Brian,

I'm not sure where you got your numbers from, but.....

> I'm fed up with using crummy RG59 to feed TV antenna. RG11 turns out
> to be even more lossy for the UHF channels.  I have enough 1/2" or

At 700 MHz

RG-59 (F59) cable from CommScope:6.42dB per 100'
RG-6 (F6) from CommScope: 5.6 dB per 100'
RG-11 (F11) from CommScope: 3.67 per 100'
750 Hardline from CommScope: 1.48dB per 100ft

Never use cable with a woven braid towards the center conductor at
UHF, use a foil lined cable! Woven braid cable can be very poor at
UHF, if the braid is against the inner dielectric without a smooth foil
lining!

> 3/4" CATV hardline to make the run.  However, it appears to be a
> challange to mate it with the type F connectors on the antenna preamp and
> TV.  I suppose a short length of RG59 on both ends would be OK.

.750 hardline to F connector fittings are readily available. I use
them in all my 160-meter antenna trunk cables. I sure wouldn't use
a makeshift fitting at UHF, especially for video.

Treat a CATV line crew guy to a free lunch, or buy him a six-pack
of beer.

What I do is run an amplifier at the antenna.Then I can use small
cable, like F-11,  to the house.

> Any suggestions?  How do the cable guys do this?  It seems like I
> stand a chance of loosing most of what can be gained by poor adapters.
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO
>
> List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
> http://www.anwireless.com
>
> -----