[TowerTalk] guyed tower reference?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] guyed tower reference?
From: Tower2sell@aol.com (Tower2sell@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 18:10:08 EDT
In a message dated 8/6/01 10:49:08 AM Central Daylight Time, n4kg@juno.com
writes:

> A PROPERLY GUYED tower *should* survive 100+ MPH winds.
>  The antennas may well blow apart.  You probably won't show
>  this post to your building comminioner :-).  Sorry.
>
>  Tom  N4KG

FYI,

The weak spot for a 25G is the diagonal brace just above the the top guy
wire. This is for ROHN catalog installations. The "design" failure point is
when the daigonal brace buckles (wind speed may be less than your 100 mph).
This type of failure would not constitute the tower falling. This failure
also assumes that the tower is loaded exactly according to the antenna and
line specs in the catalog (rare chance)

Now all bets are off when the tower is not properly installed or the anchor
foundation fail, impact with debre, ice load, airplane impact or any of the
1000 different other things that can go wrong. It just assumes an overstress
due to design type wind load.

Another FYI - the guy wires have a factor of safety of over 2 and are
normally the strongest part of the tower. Sometimes the connections to the
guy wire weaken the system. Use of cable camps require the the allowable
tension be reduce to 90%. Preform guy grips allow a full 100%. Conclusion -
sleep well and get your money's worth with Prefom guy grips.

Tower2sell@aol.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----