[TowerTalk] Trylon Project

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Trylon Project
From: bjtatum@ev1.net (Byron Tatum)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 22:52:47 -0500
Hello All-
    I have been assembling the sections for a T-500-72 and a T-600-64 this
week. Have been researching all over the net for installation tips, base
preparation, etc. and have found a lot of info. It seems that most report
erecting these towers with crane / boom trucks.
    My question is : Can anyone give me info on erecting these towers with a
gin pole? What type gin pole is available?
    These are my first self-supporters as I have always had 70 to 100 foot
#45G guyed towers. The 72 footer will be used for some stacked arrays of
903, 1296 and 2304 Mhz., as I can place it very near my shack. Does anyone
see a problem with extending a high strength 2" mast about 12 to 15 feet out
the top of tower for these smaller antennas?
    I had special, thicker plates made for the thrust bearing and rotor
plates, plus an intermediate plate 3' down from the thrust bearing has a
locking collar to help keep the mast vertical during antenna installation. I
was really shocked at the thin thrust bearing plates supplied by Trylon, and
I was told by the Canadian dealer that I was the first person to complain of
them- surely not!!
    Anyway, I am open to suggestions on the installation of these towers.
Thanks all, WA5THJ.

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----