[TowerTalk] Low Band Verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Low Band Verticals
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 18:29:06 -0600
I hate to sound like a broken record, BUT, in my *humble* :-) opinion,
the HF2V is a DOG on 80M where it is base loaded.  My friend
KZ4V had one with 120 radials.  She worked a LOT of DX on 40M
but struggled on 80 until I helped her install a 95 ft tower with 2L40,
80M inverted vee at 90 ft aimed at EA / ZL, and a vertically polarized
80M Delta Loop which creamed the famous HF2V.

The MFJ-1792  80/40 vertical looks VERY good for those two bands.
It is full size on 40M with a loading/isolating coil and top hat for 80M.
It is attractively priced at $160. The MFJ-1793 has a side mounted
rod for 20M that can be extended for 30M with an extra standoff
insulator and additional rod, all available as replacement parts from
MFJ.
It is rated for 1500W on 40M and 1000W on 80M with ~50 KHz bandwidth.
GREAT  DXpedition antenna.

Best bet for 160M:  feed your tower or put up an inverted L or
T-top wire vertical.  Use push-up masts or trees for supports.

de  Tom  N4KG