[TowerTalk] Re: Force12

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Force12
From: Mike" <W4EF@dellroy.com (Mike)
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 18:55:23 -0700
Hi Wes,

What you say is true if the characteristic impedance of the line is equal to
the system reference impedance (Zo). In other words, if your are changing
the length of a 50 ohm feedline in a 50 ohms system, then the only thing
that can improve VSWR would be additional loss from the line (e.g. the VSWR
will be constant along the length of a lossless line). Thus, system bandwidth
will be the same at any point along the length of the lossless line whose Zo
matches the system Zo.

If the line Zo is different than the system Zo (e.g. the classic case of 75 ohm
CATV cable used in a 50 ohm system), then the direction of the load reactance
change versus frequency can have a significant bearing on the system
bandwidth. In this case, the length of the line also plays a significant role.

73 de Mike, W4EF............