[TowerTalk] Re: Force12

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Force12
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 12:28:22 -0600
N4KG additional comments placed at the end.

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001  "Mike" <W4EF@dellroy.com> writes:
> Hey Tom,
>
> See my comments below:

Mike,

The SWR  *in the 75 ohm cable* is still only 2.14 to 1

The SWR *in a 50 ohm cable*from the end of the 75 ohm cable
to the transmitter depends of course on the load impedance
presented to the 50 ohm cable which of course depends on
the transposed impedance (and therefore length) of the 75 ohm line.

I think most readers on towertalk know to use multiples of
1/2 WL of  75 ohm CATV line for their 50 ohm systems
so that the impedance presented to the 50 ohm line is the
same as the load impedance.  That topic has been
discussed many times before.

Even if you use an odd number of Quarter wavelengths of 75 ohm
cable which transforms the 35 ohm load to 160 ohms, the SWR
in the 75 ohm cable remains at 2.14.  The 3:1 SWR you mention
only exists in the (short) 50 ohm cable from the end of the 75 ohm
line to the transmitter.  YES, you may want to match that back to
50 ohms for narrow range amplifiers with limited tuning range.

FWIW, when I was at Collins Radio in the late 60's, I was told the
rule of thumb for antenna system design was to try to keep the
SWR on 50 ohm cables below 3 to 1.  Anything above was matched
at the antenna.  Anything below was matched at the transmitter.

Tom  N4KG