[TowerTalk] Tall

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tall
From: rmoodyg@concentric.net (Richard M. Gillingham)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:47:00 -0500

George Shaw wrote:

>Ok this may seems a silly question but with all this talk of 2000' + towers
>it got me thinking. WHY does the height of the tower matter so much? Is it
>to elevate the antenna above the surrounding ground level due to some sort
>of RF coupling or is it to gain max distance?

Lot's already said on this part...

>Is it not easier to mount a shorter tower on higher ground atop a hill? I
>have a 300' tower beside me but if it was moved 1/3rd mile east it would
>place the top of the antenna at 1500 ' as it's up a hill? So is it that the
>antenna needs to be a certain wavelength from g/l ?

Kinda necessary to have hills...  Here in south Florida, the highest
hill around is an expressway overpass.  Flat as a pool table for
hundreds of miles.  So, We've got several really high towers..  1500' to
2000'.  Most (six at last count) are planted in a farm.  Aviation
interests need only to count how many they can find to know they're not
gonna fly into one.  The primary farm is a few miles northeast of Opa
Locka airport and east of North Perry airport and South of Ft.
Lauderdale - Hollywood airport. So, a departure off 9L at OPF (Opa
Locka) keeps a weather eye to the left for the farm and counts them..
 At least I used to when I was flight instructing there.  If you've
found hem all, you can miss 'em.

Wish I had a hill to live on...  Kinda miss hills and hardwood trees.
 And the change in seasons.   Don't miss miserable wx tho...

73
Gil,
W4PJI

>--
>George Shaw
>
>eMail:                          george.shaw@btinternet.com
>eMail:                          george.shaw@ukf.net
>Fax/Voice Mail:          +44 (0) 87 0133 6126
>Mobile:                       +44 (0) 77 4036 1163
>ICQ#:                          1741675
>

>List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
>Trylon Titan towers, coax, hardline and more. Also check out our self
>supporting towers up to 100 feet for under $1500!!  http://www.anwireless.com
>
>-----

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----