[TowerTalk] Tall

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tall
From: ww5l@gte.net (Tom Anderson)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:32:05 -0600
Tom:

I got my first 250 or so countries with a little old Mosley TA33Jr. on top of 40
ft. of Rohn 25 (with a Yaesu FL2100B occasionally pumping out 600 watts) that
just peeked over the top of the hill my QTH was at the bottom of.  When I
changed
QTHs I got a 50 foot crankup and a slightly longer boom length tribander and the
new QTH was about 60 ft higher than the old one and I've got a clear view of the
horizon at least in all directions.

As an aside a friend of mine who lived about 25 miles away had a 50 foot crank
up
and a Telrex TB6EM when I had the TA33jr.  All the extra aluminum he had in the
air meant he often heard stations when he was cranked DOWN to 20 ft  just above
his rooftop that I couldn't hear at 40 ft.  A couple antenna books say that
boomlength often helps.   The boom on his Telrex was 24 ft. I think and mine at
the time was 12 ft.

Tom, WW5L