[TowerTalk] Portable Tower Fabrication?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Portable Tower Fabrication?
From: rhodes@evertek.net (Jim Rhodes)
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 02:35:22 -0600
We used to use an old semi trailer for field day and had an arrangement
that would pivot the 3 sections of 25 from the side of the trailer at the
back and crank them up with a winch. We would mount the antennas & coax and
then just crank it on up. There was a bracket at the top of the trailer
that would be fastened to the tower once it was vertical. Can't remember
what we used for guys. Worked great, then we lost our connection in the
trucking company, bummer.

At 02:32 AM 12/15/01 +0000, n4dd@preferred.com wrote:

>Has anyone on the list fabricated a field day special or maybe just a
>portable 30 foot tower from Rohn 25g.  I have toyed with the idea of
>fabricating a steal base plate that a truck could roll upon to secure the
>the tower. I would then assemble 3 sections of 25g on on a hinged base
>and stand the tower erect.  I would use a home made hazer to elevate the
>antennas up and down the tower, and finally, guy the tower to trees or
>other substantial objects in the surrounding area.  The idea is to gain
>an edge in the portable QRP realm utilizing lightweight beams.  Is it
>possible or am I dreaming?  I'm not an engineer, so any helpful
>suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your replies!
>
>Dennis Brickey / N4DD
>
>List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
>Trylon Titan towers, coax, hardline and more. Also check out our self
>supporting towers up to 100 feet for under $1500!!  http://www.anwireless.com
>
>-----

Jim Rhodes K0XU
jim@rhodesend.net