[TowerTalk] Can of Worms II

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Can of Worms II
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 18:53:16 EST
In a message dated 12/27/01 6:30:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
x703jko@starpower.net writes:

> I'm putting up a F12 620/340, a 415/410, and a WARC7D.  Some of you say
>  that one should lay rope inside the elements of these antennas to
>  preventy sympathetic (wind-driven) oscillation of the elements.
>
>  F12 claims that, assuming you follow their construction (tapering) plans
>  that rope is unnecessary.
>
>  So, give your views including your personal experience along with a
>  (brief) explaination as to why you believe what you do.

    The reason some older designed yagi elements needed additional dampening
was because in light winds they would vibrate constantly. F12 uses an
aggressive taper schedule that eliminates the low windspeed vibration so you
don't need to do anything else. (Unless you live in a real windy area, then
you might want to run an additional row or two of rivets at the joints to
prevent premature failure.)

    Does Force 12 want you to use rope in the elements? You said no. Why
would you do something the manufacturer didn't tell you to do? The LXC Prime
Directive is to "DO what the manufacturer says". Don't be a typical ham and
make stuff up.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech

AN Wireless Self Supporting Towers are now available!  Windloading tables,
foundation diagrams and charts, along with full details are now at the
AN Wireless Web site:  http://www.ANWireless.com

-----