[TowerTalk] Is the FCC sharp? Is ARRL counsel swift?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Is the FCC sharp? Is ARRL counsel swift?
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 11:57:09 -0500

And I wrote:

>>Stu, Congress was willing to direct the FCC to pre-empt all forms of local
>>prohibition against satellite TV antennas, including CC&Rs.  FCC wrote regs
>>doing just that and then enforced them in some pretty sweeping cases.  Why
>>do you dismiss the possibility of the same thing happening for ham towers?

Stu replied:

>Pete -- because satellite television is a business and employs people who
>pay taxes as do their employers. That's clout
>
>   Weigh ham clout against the clout of property associations, and I think
>we lose.

And I respond:

Oh, OK -- I thought you said earlier that the FCC should just take a
general stand against interfering in property rights.  I agree that we need
to apply some serious muscle, and trust that the ARRL will be doing so.  I,
for one, will back them strongly, even though I live in a county where
amateur towers are excluded from any regulation as "essential public
utilities."

73, Pete N4ZR

The revised World Contest
Station Database
is online at www.pvrc.org

This list is sponsored by the new eHam.net Store.  When you buy products
price goes to support this list.  Check it out at http://www.eham.net.

-----