[TowerTalk] Oil for dummy load

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Oil for dummy load
From: wa2moe@firstinter.net (Stu Greene)
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 13:02:02 -0700
At 12:42 PM 1/25/02 -0500, David Clemons wrote:

>         The older transformer oil contained PCBs.  If you use that type
>         of oil, you do not want to get it on you when you work with it as
>         exposure to PCBs can possibly lead to cancer.  The newer transformer
>         oil might not contain PCBs, but I don't know how to tell the
>         difference between new and old.  Mineral oil, if it will dissipate
>         the heat, definitely sounds better.
I agree.  I don't know how to tell the difference between transformer oils.
I was aware of the problem with transformer  oil in 1977 (the Hudson River
was being treated for the junk that General Electric dumped into the river,
and my Heath dummy load was filled with mineral oil in 1977 (lots of
bottles) and is still in use.  It dissipates heat nicely and obviously does
not contain anything but mineral oil, a laxative.

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----