[TowerTalk] Super high antennas on 10 to 20

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Super high antennas on 10 to 20
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 17:21:21 -0500
N4KG and W4ZV are right.  The real high antennas can be at a disadvantage
after the bands open.  I had a 7 el 10 meter beam at 70 feet in 1970 for the
CQ WPX SSB and I had a great signal into Northern and Eastern Europe and the
Far East but needed to lower the antenna
to 40 to 50 feet when I got stepped on by a local with a 3el tri-bander at
50 feet in G or HP (then KZ5 Canal Zone).

N4RJ tried all sorts of combinations and his final 10 meter set up was
35/65/90 and about the same proportion on 15 and 20.  The 35 foot antenna
was often left on South America.

Spend time on the lower antennas and only add antennas at 180 to 200 feet
when its the last option.

73 Dave K4JRB

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----