[TowerTalk] Super high antennas on 10 to 20

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Super high antennas on 10 to 20
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 11:19:15 -0500
The null-filling idea depends on one of two concepts:

1) ground clutter or irregularity filling nulls because the ground is
not a smooth reflecting plane. Effects of this can be seen with
programs like K6STI's TA (terrain analysis) program. The narrower the
null vertically, the easier it will be for terrain irregularity to
fill it in with miscellaneous bounces. In the terrain I have run, the
large nulls from lower heights don't get filled in because they are so
far across angle-wise.

2) the normal radio reflecting properties of the atmospheric layers
are not that smooth, and to a lesser degree than terrain, have
irregularities that fill in smaller nulls. If it was as smooth as a
mirror, 4-6 wavelength antenna heights would still be QSB horror.

This is of course something very hard to layout and prove. Scattered
anecdotal evidence seems to support it. Problem is that most folks
can't get anywhere near the heights needed to check this out at HF.
And regardless, folks with 10m antennas at 200 feet report times when
lower is better. If that antenna at 200 feet really behaved like 3db
over free space, it shouldn't be possible to stomp it. Go figure.