[TowerTalk] Super high antennas on 10 to 20

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Super high antennas on 10 to 20
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 00:16:45 -0500
Nulls are not caused by "angle of elevation" of the yagi boom. For all
practical purposes their angle is fixed by the frequency and height of
the antenna.

They are caused by the cancellation of waves when the direct path to a
given takeoff angle, and the ground "bounce" path to that angle differ
by an odd multiple of a half wavelength.

At HF with typical heights and boom lengths, elevation of a boom does
little to change a null. It will not change the angle of the null, but
might make a small change in the depth of the null. However, you would
pay for it in the gain in the lower (best) lobe. Primary lobe gain is
maximum with the boom parallel to the ground.

73, Guy