[TowerTalk] W2DU Balun's?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] W2DU Balun's?
From: n2rd@arrl.net (Rajiv Dewan, N2RD)
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 23:53:56 -0000
Indeed.  I have had very bad experiences with commercially available
W2DU baluns for around $20 or so.  All kinds of problems ranging from
broken solder connection inside the pvc tube, broken beads, to ferrite
beads shorting the connector on the inside.  I use then primarily for
wire antenna strung between trees and they have very limited life.  It
really takes a beating on the wire antennas.  Impregnating them helps
at the cost of limiting their ability to dissipate heat.

There are good ones that are vaccuum impregnated.  F12 and CalAv labs
have these.  I always wonder about heat stress on these at lower
frequencies.  And, they are rather expensive - almost $50 each.

I now build them myself using kits (about $10 or so) available from a
number of sources.  Before sealing up the PVC tube, I fill them with
self expanding foam (available in hardware stores for insulation
purposes) that comes in aerosol cans.  I use a vaccuum cleaner to suck
from the other end of the tube as I fill it to get it into all nooks
and crannies.  The ones I built have been in use for over 3yrs,
compared to fewer than 2 for some of the commercial ones I tried.

Regards,
Rajiv, N2RD