[Towertalk] rotator cable lightning protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] rotator cable lightning protection
From: wb9uwa@gte.net (WB9UWA Jim Shaffer)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 04:03:59 -0600
Hi Pete,

Why fight the dragon if you can persuade him to take another path?
Why is the lightening visiting your rotor contol box anyway?
Could it be that tastey AC power line ground at the other end of
your AC line cord?

My tower base is only 15 feet from the underground AC power feed to
the house. Since I added a heavy ground lead from my tower base
to the AC power feed ground, my VHF shack no longer suffers
from lightening hits. Of course I still make sure the 90 foot tower is
grounded
with local lightening rods as well.

Keep all leads at the same potential. That includes, feedlines, AC power
ground, and anything else connected to your expensive gear. Just leave
the gas pipes alone. Dragons and gas pipes don't mix.

73, Jim Shaffer, WB9UWA.