[Towertalk] rotator cable lightning protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] rotator cable lightning protection
From: goudpj@mac.com (Pete Goudreau)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:24:31 -0600
n4kg@juno.com wrote:

> Winding the cable into a choke at the entrance to your house (and
> possibly at the base of the tower) 'helps' to mimimize current.

Had thought of that, tricky thing to do given the voltage slew rate
though since even a tiny bit of end-to-end capacitance would couple
the transient across.

Figuring all eight lines, for example, as a common mode source,
paralleling them in the network analysis allows for the design of a Q
of 1 second order current divider by putting a cap to ground on each
line to work against the common mode inductor in series to the
rotator controller in the shack.  But this requires a known impedance
at that end in order to have a solution.

I was thinking of putting a connector on the ground window that would
short all the lines together and then to ground through a 47ohm 3W
ceramic resistor.  Then the inductor back at the master ground bar
could be roughly 75uH, and each of the caps 3.9nF, which produces a
100KHz corner with a Q of about 1.

The caps would have to be high current, low inductance types, like
Panasonic M series polyester film and foil.  The choke could be wound
as 8-in-hand of heavy build 30awg wire in a single layer on a 4"x0.5"
mat'l 33 ferrite rod for 38 turns.  It would have to be oriented to
avoid coupling from the input terminal strip but with its ends away
from whatever can was used to hold the entire contraption.  It would
also have about 0.5ohm winding resistance per wire, might not be a
good thing, I've no idea what kind of current flows in rotator wiring.

It'd also have to have mov and/or gas tubes across the lines as well
to protect the caps and limit the potential on the lines at the
entrance to the house but maybe that's overkill.  If not, the trick's
sizing the @#$%@^& things so they don't explode but that requires
knowing the energy to be dissipated in a multi-strike event.  Not an
easy task.

Is there a "standard" technique to applying a choke that isn't this
danged complicated that has met with success?

Thanks,
Pete, AD5HD